On December 7, 1941, Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese fleet. Originally, President Roosevelt did not want to be involved with the war and wanted to keep America out of harms way. However, after tracing back to that time, evidence appeared stating that President Roosevelt had been warned about the attack by the Japanese three days before they attacked Hawaii. The US government was given a memo that stated, “In anticipation of possible open conflict with this country, Japan is vigorously utilizing every available agency to secure military, naval and commercial information, paying particular attention to the West Coast, the Panama Canal and the Territory of Hawaii,” (Goddard).  Some theorists have said that Roosevelt might have kept this information to himself, not to harm his own soldiers, but to have a rightful reason to declare war on Japan. On the other hand, others have argued that Roosevelt and the rest of Washington did not believe that the Japanese would attack. One Mr. Shirley did not think that Roosevelt knew anything prior to the attacks. He is quoted saying, “Based on all my research, I believe that neither Roosevelt nor anybody in his government, the Navy or the War Department knew that the Japanese were going to attack Pearl Harbour. There was no conspiracy,” (Goddard). Whether or not Roosevelt knew about the attacks before they happened is still unknown, but many historians have their own opinions and theories. The world may never know what information was received on the day the US changed.

Source:

Goddard, Jacqui. “Pearl Harbour Memo Shows US Warned of Japanese Attack.” The Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group, 4 Dec. 2011. Web. 30 Apr. 2015.

4 Comments so far

1.    İndirim Kodları on June 19, 2020 11:14 am

Iron pyrite is the most foolish of all minerals.

2.    Hairstyles on June 19, 2020 6:18 pm

Hey there! I’ve been following your website for a long time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Dallas Tx! Just wanted to say keep up the good work!

3.    Free Stuff on June 19, 2020 11:51 pm

Right now it sounds like Movable Type is the preferred blogging platform out there right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?

4.    GuQin on June 20, 2020 7:56 pm

I know of the fact that nowadays, more and more people will be attracted to video cameras and the area of photography. However, really being a photographer, it’s important to first shell out so much time period deciding which model of video camera to buy along with moving store to store just so you could potentially buy the lowest priced camera of the trademark you have decided to pick. But it won’t end now there. You also have to think about whether you should obtain a digital camera extended warranty. Thanks a lot for the good suggestions I acquired from your site.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind