The Renaissance was a period of great advancements in the fields of science, and many great inventions emerged from this period that are still being used and improved upon today. One of the first notable inventions of the Renaissance was gunpowder, invented around 850 A.D. When the gun was developed by the English and Dutch armies sometime in the seventeenth century, the two inventions revolutionized weaponry- firearms and cannons quickly replaced bows and arrows. The first mechanical clock was invented early in the 14th century and it measured time in 24 hours. When Galileo discovered the pendulum in 1851, it improved the movement of hands on the clock. This gave birth to the modern clock, as now the average error in time on a clock varied only by seconds. Throughout each century of the Renaissance, inventions like these rose to pave the way for modern technology.

One of the most recognized inventions of the 15th century was the first printing press, invented by Johannes Gutenberg in 1436. It allowed books, pamphlets and other forms of literature to be mass produced and revolutionized how information was circulated in society. In 1496, wall paper was invented in the first paper mill in England. For the next 200 years, England continued manufacturing wall paper, allowing average citizens rather than just wealthy people to decorate their homes.

The 15th century was also the time during which Leonardo da Vinci created many designs which gave birth to modern forms of technology, such as early forms of the parachute and the helicopter. He also created an “armored car,” a vehicle equipped with many weapons that could move in any direction, and it became the precursor of the modern tank. His “33-Barreled Organ,” a cannon meant to be both fired and reloaded simultaneously, became the precursor of the machine gun. His intimidating design for a giant crossbow was one of the first examples of using psychological warfare. He created “revolving bridges,” which were meant to be a sort of portable form of bridges that armies could use to easily cross bodies of water. He created a very bulky early form of scuba gear, meant for surprise attacks on enemy ships from underwater. Da Vinci is also responsible for creating the world’s first “robots.” He made a self-propelled cart that was pushed by coiled springs and could be “programmed” to move in certain directions. He also tried his hand at making a “robotic knight,” which could move on its own through a system of gears and wheels connected to pulleys and cables. Inventions like these are what made the Renaissance the birth place of modern science, and they provided us the blueprints of modern technology.

Sources:

• http://www.bookunitsteacher.com/renaissance/inventions.htm
  • http://www.da-vinci-inventions.com/

11 Comments so far

1.    Andrew Miller on August 16, 2016 7:08 am

There will never be a time like the Reneissance unless we go back to the Dark Ages. This age is like the touch age or glass age because of the technology being created.

2.    Michael Case on October 26, 2016 7:18 am

The Renaissance is the most important part of history. It still affects our culture today.

3.    Alexandria Newingham on June 19, 2020 8:42 am

Thank you! Can I really do anything? Website Design

4.    Kupon Kodları on June 19, 2020 10:11 am

He enjoys practicing his ballet in the bathroom.

5.    Gilbert Burriss on June 19, 2020 5:03 pm

Whats up this is somewhat of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding skills so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

6.    Hairstyles on June 20, 2020 12:26 pm

After study a few of the blog posts in your web site now, and I really like your approach of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark web site listing and will likely be checking again soon. Pls try my site as properly and let me know what you think.

7.    ปั้มไลค์ on June 20, 2020 3:45 pm

Like!! Really appreciate you sharing this blog post.Really thank you! Keep writing.

8.    ทิชชู่เปียกแอลกอฮอล์ on June 20, 2020 3:46 pm

I really like and appreciate your blog post.

9.    กรองหน้ากากอนามัย on June 20, 2020 3:47 pm

I learn something new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon everyday.

10.    เบอร์สวยมงคล on June 20, 2020 3:48 pm

I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This article posted at this web site is in fact pleasant.

11.    SMS on June 20, 2020 3:49 pm

Thanks so much for the blog post.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind